Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Teaching with Courage

Courage... humm, well many can attest to having it, but how many really use it? As teachers our courage could amount to something HUGE, no matter how small it may be. I got my inspiration from Kim at Finding Joy in 6th Grade. She shared many instances of teaching with courage, at the end of her post she asked others to share their experiences. My hope, in sharing my experience is to (hopefully) give someone in a similar situation courage to speak out for their students, as this is what I did.

I graduated in May of 2011, as the school year approached I had one interview through all the millions of applications I had filled out. That didn't pan out. I was upset, needless to say. I thought I would NEVER get a job. So, when the anticipation of having my OWN room died down, I applied to be a substitute in several districts around the area. After some time a teacher in my home district asked me to long-term sub, knowing I wasn't real sure of when or how long I would be there. I accepted.

In November I began my long-term spot. Right away I noticed the lack of structure in the classroom. These students have had various subs prior to me and it was chaos. I felt like things needed to change if I was going to stay for an extended time, but I was scared to do anything about it. After some time I pulled up all the courage I had and approached the Principal. At this time, he didn't know much about me or my credentials. I told him I would like to make some changes for the students best interest, and that I felt they were not getting the education they deserved. He questioned me on what I knew or why I would want to change the way the classroom was ran. I was scared out of my mind to say how I felt. But slowly it did come out. Surprisingly, he gave me permission to change things in the class. Time went on, the class adjusted and the Principal visited frequently. I ended up staying 6 months with this class and I felt as if they were my own. 


It was the last week of school and the Principal asked me to an interview for another position in the building that would be opening up. I was offered it on the spot! He said he had high hopes for me and loved that I was flexible and willing to speak up for my students. It was courage that found me where I am today. My students had more respect for me at the end of the year because I made it my own. 


I encourage you to find that courage when you feel something isn't just right. We do this for THEM. We are here to educate, inspire, and mold these kiddos. Give them every opportunity to succeed and reach their highest goals!


Now it is your turn to tell your story of Teaching with Courage! Please add the picture below to your blog with the following link: http://joyin6th.blogspot.com/2012/07/teaching-with-courage.html, if you don't blog and would still like to share your story, I would love to read it so please comment!



Blessings!


4 comments:

  1. You have always been one to stand up for something you believe in. Those kiddos were so blessed to have you. You changed some lives then, and will continue to do so throughout your career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story hasn't really started yet, or maybe it has. my children will attend school online, through Andover ecademy my oldest will start kindergarten in 2013. This means I will be taking on the role of teacher, or at least teacher's assistant. This alone doesn't scare me. what scares me is that I also must work outside the home. I'm not sure how we will find time to get this done, but I know it is the best option for my child. somehow, we will make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! My love for education really started young but I got away from it several times only to find myself back. My desire really flourished when I had children. I started as a para, teacher's assistant, and found that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. This may be the case for you! You might find that it is rewarding, encouraging, and challenging. It is never too late to go back to school :)
      Good luck! Let me know if I can help in anyway!
      ~Amy

      Delete